- 19 Jun 2019Vancouver renter - and her dogs - caught in battle with landlord unwilling to enforce her building’s no smoking policyQuille Kaddon lives in a Downtown Vancouver rental building on Comox Street. Since Kaddon began living there in 2011, the building has had a 100% no-smoking policy. Regardless of the policy, several tenants smoke and it appears the landlord is willing to do little if anything about it.
- 19 Jun 2019North Van condo owner starts neighbourly dialogue and succeeds in making his building 100% smoke-freeAnton Shendryk bought a suite at Whytecliff a few years ago, one of five buildings at Woodcroft Estates in North Vancouver. Soon after moving in, he found himself surrounded by second-hand tobacco smoke.
- 9 May 2019A new national Leger poll reveals that large majorities of Canadians support urgent action by the federal government to significantly restrict vaping product advertising to help curb increasing youth consumption of nicotine vaping products.
- 25 Apr 2019Studies have also shown that kids who vape are four times more likely to start smoking traditional cigarettes than those who don't.
- 15 Apr 2019Naomi Baker launched a petition that has gained support from residents in similar situations, anti-smoking lobbying groups, an association representing landlords and health-care professionals.
- 3 Apr 2019In B.C., a woman with lung disease was exposed to drifting smoke from a neighbouring condominium unit. Her complaints were not remedied. On March 5, 2019, the BC Human Rights Tribunal ruled that this violated the BC Human Rights Code for discrimination on the basis of disability. The tribunal ordered that the strata cease the contravention and pay $7,500.
- 26 Feb 2019Recent surges in youth and young adult experimentation with vaping threaten to hook a whole new generation on nicotine, and no surprise given how perilously easy tobacco and vaping products are to obtain, say BC health advocates the Lung Association, Heart and Stroke Foundation, and Canadian Cancer Society – partners in the Clean Air Coalition of BC (CACBC).
- 17 Jan 2019In the online survey of a representative national sample, seven-in-ten Canadians (72%) support banning smoking (tobacco and marijuana) in multi-family buildings, while one-in-four (25%) are opposed.
- 7 Jan 2019Naomi Baker had been fighting a two-year battle to stop second-hand smoke from infiltrating her third-floor apartment. It was the birth of her baby girl, Faith, now seven months, that prompted Baker to launch the petition in August.
- 12 Dec 2018While the opioid-overdose epidemic is a major focus of concern, it is worth recalling that it is not the most important cause of addiction-related deaths in Canada or even in B.C., the epicentre of the opioid epidemic.
|« Previous||page 1 of 6||Next »|