- 15 Apr 2019Naomi Baker launched a petition that has gained support from residents in similar situations, anti-smoking lobbying groups, an association representing landlords and health-care professionals.
- 3 Apr 2019In B.C., a woman with lung disease was exposed to drifting smoke from a neighbouring condominium unit. Her complaints were not remedied. On March 5, 2019, the BC Human Rights Tribunal ruled that this violated the BC Human Rights Code for discrimination on the basis of disability. The tribunal ordered that the strata cease the contravention and pay $7,500.
- 26 Feb 2019Recent surges in youth and young adult experimentation with vaping threaten to hook a whole new generation on nicotine, and no surprise given how perilously easy tobacco and vaping products are to obtain, say BC health advocates the Lung Association, Heart and Stroke Foundation, and Canadian Cancer Society – partners in the Clean Air Coalition of BC (CACBC).
- 17 Jan 2019In the online survey of a representative national sample, seven-in-ten Canadians (72%) support banning smoking (tobacco and marijuana) in multi-family buildings, while one-in-four (25%) are opposed.
- 7 Jan 2019Naomi Baker had been fighting a two-year battle to stop second-hand smoke from infiltrating her third-floor apartment. It was the birth of her baby girl, Faith, now seven months, that prompted Baker to launch the petition in August.
- 12 Dec 2018While the opioid-overdose epidemic is a major focus of concern, it is worth recalling that it is not the most important cause of addiction-related deaths in Canada or even in B.C., the epicentre of the opioid epidemic.
- 8 Dec 2018New data suggests teen smoking rates in Canada are also rising. Using data gathered in the last six months, University of Waterloo professor David Hammond found a disturbing trend in Canadian teen vaping rates. (Craig Chivers/CBC)
- 3 Dec 2018A North Vancouver high school is locking up almost all of its student bathrooms, blaming "a very serious issue" with vaping.
- 26 Nov 2018Non-smokers who had access to smoke-free restaurants, bars and workplaces had lower systolic blood pressure readings than those who lived in areas without smoke-free laws.
- 29 Aug 2018Online petition presses provincial government to toughen smoking restrictions.
|« Previous||page 1 of 6||Next »|