- 2 Dec 2016Friday, December 2, 2016 - BC health advocates are commending the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for its new ruling requiring all U.S. public housing agencies to implement smoke-free policies over the next 18 months. These policies are being implemented to protect the health of residents and apply to private units (including patios and balconies) as well as all common areas. Clean Air Coalition of BC partners (the BC Lung Association, Heart & Stroke, BC & Yukon and Canadian Cancer Society, BC and Yukon Division) urge the Province to follow HUD’s lead.
- 7 Jun 2016JUNE IS SMOKE-FREE MULTI-UNIT HOUSING MONTH. The BC Lung Association and the Heart and Stroke Foundation, B.C. & Yukon. partners in the Clean Air Coalition, are calling upon the provincial government to enact legislative and regulatory measures to stimulate the supply of 100 percent smoke-free multi-unit housing.
- 7 Jun 2016Pitt Meadows father and condo owner wins protracted human rights battle to protect his family from second-hand smokeAfter 18 months of Strata Council meetings, Human Rights Tribunal mediation, research and legalities, Pitt Meadows condo owner Paulo Eusebio and his family are happy to report their apartment building has gone 100 percent smoke-free.
- 7 Jun 2016The second-hand smoke drifting into Richard and his family’s back yard is so intense he hasn’t been able to let his kids play in their back yard for a year.
- 7 Jun 2016Vancouver condo owner frustrated by his strata management’s inaction on serious second-hand smoke issueWith paper thin walls, the sounds and smells in John’s Vancouver condominium drift easily from unit to unit. Included is the second-hand smoke that he and his partner contend with on a daily basis.
- 15 Jan 2016Canada’s Health Ministers are meeting in Vancouver during National Non-Smoking Week (January 17 to 23, 2016). To help protect youth from taking up smoking, the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the BC Lung Association are urging Canada’s Health Ministers to establish a national ban on menthol and other flavoured tobacco products.
- 29 Jun 2015The Heart and Stroke Foundation and the B.C. Lung Association want people to know it’s legal for strata corporations to adopt a non-smoking bylaw banning smoking inside units and on balconies.
- 29 Jun 2015Andrea Sharkey's Story
“When the 1928 building was first established, people no doubt smoked freely inside and out for decades. Today it’s a whole different story. Owners are no longer as tolerant of second‐hand smoke,” said Andrea Sharkey, Strata Manager for FirstService Residential Property Management.
- 19 Jun 2015Powell River rental caretakers converting their building to 100% smoke-free starting January 1, 2016Lyndell Klassen and Paul Leblanc's Story
“People kept complaining about the smoke, so we’re going to be officially smoke-free starting January first,” started Lyndell Klassen and Paul Leblanc, caretakers for a local apartment building in Powell River.
- 17 Jun 2015Bunny Porteus's Story
“The owners were smart,” says Bunny Porteous, Senior Strata Manager for FirstService Residential Property Management. “The Strata Council took preventative action now to avoid problems later.”
|« Previous||page 1 of 3||Next »|